Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sammi-isms

Sammi is my youngest child and she's a pretty smart kid.  Smarter than me, I think.  She tests through the roof on every standardized test she takes.  She drives her sisters crazy with her knowledge.  She loves non-fiction books and I have to bribe her to get her to read fiction.

Anyway, once in awhile she'll ask me bizarre questions (who's kidding, it happens EVERYDAY).  So maybe I'll start blogging about them because I usually don't know the answer and she usually does so I learn stuff.

Sammi-ism #1
"Mom, did you know that the Yukon River is much smaller than it used to be?"

Um, no.  How exactly would I know this?  I never studied ALASKAN history.   I studied South Carolina history.  We spent half the year talking about the Civil War & Reconstruction in 8th grade.  (No joke).  "No, honey, I didn't know that.  Why is that?"

Sammi: "Well, when the land bridge was still between Siberia and Alaska, the river was a lot longer than it is now.  But it's still one of the longest rivers in North America.  And now it empties into the ocean instead of the sea that used to be north of the Beringia"

Me: "Beringia? What's that?"

Sammi: "The land bridge.  That's what it's called."

Me: "Oh, cool."  (This is how many of our conversations end)

Did I mention that this kid is in 3rd grade?  Good grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment