Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Chicago experiences (Non-ALA related)

A whirlwind weekend in Chicago.  Each day my mind was spinning from all the new information that had been crammed into it from session after session.  I'm still trying to process it all.  For now, here's what I learned about Chicago the city.  I'll write about ALA later:

  • Blackhawks fans are nuts.  I've never attended a championship parade before because I've always lived in places too small for a pro team.  It was an interesting experience and I really enjoyed it but I'm not eager to repeat it.  It was hard to move around and it was damn near impossible to cross the street.  We had to walk through 4 blocks of crammed sidewalks to cross and we felt like we were swimming upstream.  It was completely ridiculous.
  • The Book of Mormon is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.  I haven't laughed that hard or that much in a long time.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and hope to see it again when it's on tour.  Yes, it's so good I would see it again.
  • The Field Museum is HUGE.  Jeez!  I only got through 4 exhibits and would get about halfway through each and my brain would just shut down.  Too much information, too much to process.  I couldn't possibly take it all in, even when I was fascinated by the topic.  I love Ancient American culture - Mississippian, Maya, Wari, Aztec, Inca...it's all totally fascinating.  I studied these cultures while doing my undergrad in Anthropology and couldn't get enough.  Turns out, I still can't. But I got to the pottery room and my mind just shut down.  Too. Much. Pottery.  The building itself fascinated me because it's the only building left from the World's Fair and it's so ornate and just beautifully done.  And apparently there are 7 floors under ground FULL OF STUFF that they don't have room for in the exhibits.  HOLY MOLY!  Anyway, it's a very cool museum and I wish I had more time to spend wandering around but I was trying to cram in museum visits at the end of each day.  
  • The Shedd Aquarium.  OK, I am a member of the Georgia Aquarium because I have a kid who is obsessed with beluga whales & sea turtles & basically all animals.  So I'm spoiled because the Georgia Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the world.  Shedd isn't even in the top 10.  It's a nice aquarium but it's no Georgia Aquarium.  I usually hate comparing things because I try to enjoy things for what they are but dang it, I couldn't help it.  And my kid was MAD that I went to an aquarium without her.  Haha.
  • Adler Planetarium is so cool!  I really enjoyed this place.  I spent twice as much time in the planetarium as the aquarium, that's how cool it was.  I'm married to an astronomy guy but have never been big on it myself so for it to capture my interest as much as it did, means it a very cool place.  Very much worth the visit.  Lots of interesting exhibits and the Atwood Planetarium is interesting.  I would totally go there again if given the opportunity.
  • Segways are way harder than they look.  We did a nighttime Segway tour and it was great fun and I enjoyed seeing the skyline at night but my feet hurt really bad by the time we were done.  I was really surprised by how much they cramped up.  Who knew?
  • Chicago style pizza is my new favorite food.  Too bad I can't get it in the south.  Not real Chicago style anyway.  I could have eaten it everyday while I was there.  Really.  Ask Vivian (my travel buddy).
OK, that's it from the non-work part of the trip.  I still need to write about the work part AND I have a couple of book reviews to write up.

No comments:

Post a Comment